Sunday, January 23, 2022

Guardian of...Orchis?

One post in each of 2018, 2019 and 2020...and I couldn't even manage that much in 2021. The simple truth is that I seldom see any evidence that Guardian is showing up anywhere so my interest is directed elsewhere.

I don't know what possessed me to look for recent Guardian appearances earlier today but I did come across at least a minor one in a book called S.W.O.R.D. The image below is from the sixth issue, cover dated August 2021 and released in June. 


Presumably like Guardian, I've never heard of Orchis either. According to Marvel Comics' website...
Orchis may have been formed out of the fear of humanity’s impending extinction, but the scientific minds behind it are more than just hate mongers. They truly believe that Orchis is the only hope they have to keep mutants from ascending to control of the Earth within the next few generations. That belief has allowed disparate factions from Hydra, A.I.M., S.H.I.E.L.D., Alpha Flight, S.W.O.R.D., S.T.R.I.K.E., A.R.M.O.R., and H.A.M.M.E.R. to come together under a united banner.
Sounds somewhat genocidal-leaning, though I'm sure it's being sold in a far different way to our hero who does end up joining, based on the preview material for issue #9.




I know Guardian appears in issue #11 as well, which I believe was the final one in the series. Granted the perception is only based on previews but it doesn't seem like he does much besides act as a sounding board for this Gyrich guy.

If these go cheap during a sale at some point I might get them but in the meantime, they don't appear to be essential material. Perhaps as Orchis grows as an enemy to the mutants, Guardian's role will be expanded? We'll see. For all I know at the moment, he's given this guy the finger and gone home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment